Hunter’s Story – A Boy Who Swallowed a Lithium Battery
Hear Hunter’s story; a one year old Australian boy who swallowed a button battery. When swallowed, coin sized button batteries can get stuck in the throat and cause severe burns.
Raising Awareness and Preventing Harm
Energizer, Kidsafe and the ACCC have partnered to bring more awareness to this issue and help parents and caregivers prevent injuries to young children. We are on a mission to provide life-saving information through this website, other partners’ websites, video, social media channels and more.
The Battery Controlled partnership will work closely with electronics manufacturers to encourage them to make all battery compartments child resistant, not just those designed for children.
Together we can help families and caregivers prevent serious harm and save lives.
Kidsafe, the Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Australia is a charity that has supported Australian families over the last 33 years. We seek to make the world a safer place for children by helping to prevent unintentional injuries. Kidsafe is involved in a variety of activities including provision of ongoing support services to families, advocacy, extensive injury prevention programs and research, media support programs and joint activities with a wide varieties of other community organisations, companies and Government agencies. Visit www.kidsafe.org.au
About the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is Australia’s national product safety regulator. This role includes administering mandatory safety standards and bans, undertaking compliance and surveillance activities, and educating both suppliers and consumers on how to make, buy and use safe products. The ACCC is an independent statutory authority. It was formed in 1995 to administer the Trade Practices Act 1974 (renamed the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 on 1 January 2011) and other acts.
Energizer is committed to improving its coin lithium button battery packaging to help keep kids safe. In 2012, these batteries will feature additional safety warnings and more secure packaging. For more information about Energizer, visit www.energizerbatteries.com.au