• Did You Know?

    • In Australia, an estimated 4 children per week present to an emergency department with an injury related to a button battery. Kids under 5 years old represent the greatest risk.
    • When a coin-sized lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the oesophagus in as little as two hours.
    • Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling, and discomfort.
    • Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
  • Prevention

    Kids under 4 are at the greatest risk. Many coin-sized button batteries can appear “invisible” to parents because devices come with the batteries already installed. To keep your children safe:

    • Look in your home for any items that may contain coin-sized button batteries.
    • Place devices out of sight and out of reach of small children.
    • Keep loose or spare batteries locked away.
    • Share this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and babysitters.
  • Treatment

    Keeping these batteries locked away and secured in devices is key, but if a coin-sized button battery is swallowed, you should follow these steps:

    • Go to the emergency room immediately. Tell doctors and nurses that it might be a coin-sized button battery.
    • If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s pack.
    • Do not let the child eat or drink until an X-ray can determine if a battery is present.
    • Do not induce vomiting.

Remote control devices, Watches, Toys, Games, Flashing jewelry, Flameless candles, Singing greeting cards, Other slim devices

Data provided by: QISU (Queensland Injury Surveillance Unit)